A house without the proper lighting is incomplete. With lamps, you can easily create a cosy atmosphere by making certain parts of your home stand out. Lighting is available in many shapes and sizes, from very modern to classic. Besides being decorative, a lamp is also very functional. When you are having dinner in the evening, it is nice to be able to see what is on your plate. Here at vidaXL, we have an amazing selection of different kinds of lighting solutions. Explore the selection here, and find the perfect lighting for your home.
Light fixtures in different styles
Here at vidaXL, you can find an amazing selection of lamps that are suitable for modern interiors, classic interiors and anything in between. A modern, adjustable arch lamp could be placed next to your sofa, creating lighting for when you want to relax with a good book.
You can also find lamps from the Philips LivingColors collection here. These lamps ensure a lovely atmosphere because they allow you to choose the colour with a remote control. A pendant lamp in the shape of a lantern will look great in a classic interior. It is also very trendy to play with styles. For example, choose a classic lamp for your modern interior. Make sure that it fits with your furniture in terms of colours.
Create a lighting plan
When choosing a new lamp, it is important it creates unity in making sure that the correct places in your home are illuminated. Think about where you want to place your new lamps beforehand and choose lamps in the same style. While it is fine that the light fixtures differ in shape and colour, it is important that they have the same look. Ask yourself what the current style in your room is like. Is it modern? Minimalistic? Boho? No matter which style you have, make sure that you choose a type of lighting that matches your style.
Another tip is to consider how big the room is. Does the lamp need to light up a big room, or are you in the market for a reading lamp for a coffee table? This is important to consider before purchasing your new lamp, as some lamps are specifically designed to illuminate big rooms, such as living rooms, while others are designed to create a bit of evening light for your reading.
Spare your eyes and choose the right light intensity
Have you already chosen some beautiful lamps for your home? If so, it is very important you also choose the right light bulbs. Reading a book in bad lighting can be very tiring for your eyes, and we don’t want that, do we? It is also useful for lamps above a dining table and next to a chair to be stronger than the main lights in the room. Warm light is by far the best type of light for your eyes. This includes both filtered natural light and light from LED light bulbs.
But what else do you need to consider when it comes to lighting and your eyes? Well, you need to spread out the lighting in your home as this ensures sufficient lighting. When you are reading, working or doing any other task that requires detail, it is recommended that you use direct lighting.
Lighting tips for your eyes
Let’s take a look at some of our favourite tips to improve lighting and improve your vision:
- Ensure that you are using multiple light sources in every room. This will increase the amount of light without the need to use bright light bulbs. Instead, you can use warmer LED lights.
- As mentioned, warm light bulbs are better for your eyes than cool light. Therefore, it is recommended that you use warm light bulbs over cool light fixtures.
- Ensure that you are always reading, writing and working in a proper light, as dim light can potentially strain your eyes. Also, ensure that you use direct light for such tasks.
- Allow as much natural light in as possible by opening blinds and curtains.
We hope you find these tips helpful. Your eyes will for sure thank you for following these tips and tricks.
Four types of lighting
Have you ever thought about how you need different lighting for different rooms? You probably don’t want the same type of lighting in your bedroom as you do in your kitchen. Different purposes require different types of lighting. In general, when talking about lighting, there are four primary types. Each of these types is specifically tailored to serve unique purposes. The four types of light are:
- Decorative lighting
- Task lighting
- Accent lighting
- Ambient lighting
Let’s look a little bit more into each type of lighting.
As the name hints, decoration lighting is perfect for decoration. With decoration lighting, you can get a bit creative in terms of colour, size and designs. Decoration lighting can really make a statement or set the mood. Decoration lights are beautiful both indoors and outdoors.
As the name suggests, this type of lighting is perfect when you have a task that needs to be completed. This could be work projects, art projects, reading or writing. It could also be cooking a delicious meal for your family.
Accent lighting is perfect when you want your light to focus on certain points. Whether you want to make your room appear bigger, highlight a certain feature or a unique piece of art, you want accent lighting. Accent lighting can shine up to three times as much light as ambient lighting.
Ambient lighting is bright and powerful, and it is perfect for illuminating the entire room. This is perfect if you want to light up your entire kitchen or living room. You can also get ambient lighting for your outdoor spaces. For instance, they are lovely in yards or driveways, and they help increase the feeling of safety.
Ideas to illuminate your home beautifully
Good lighting is an absolute necessity, and with the right lighting, you can create a beautiful atmosphere in every room in your home. When it comes to lighting, the choices are many, from chandeliers to reading lamps to wall lights. We have gathered our favourite tips to illuminate your home in the most beautiful way:
- Bring warmth to your living room. You probably want your living room to be a cosy, warm place where you love spending time with friends and family. Therefore, we recommend that you choose warm light for the living area.
- Statement pendants for the kitchen. The kitchen lighting has to be really good, so you can cook to perfection even in the evening. With statement pendants, you will create a beautiful and stylish look in the kitchen while also having the right lighting for cooking.
- Wall lights for the entrance hall. Wall lights can be really beautiful, especially in the entrance hall. This adds a gorgeous feel to the room, and you will be greeted by beautiful lights every time you come home.
- Think about bedroom lighting positions. You need to consider where you place your bedroom lighting. It is important that it is located correctly in relation to the bed. You might need to play around with the position a bit before finding the perfect one.
- Let there be light in the closet. There is nothing worse than not being able to see all the clothes you have hanging in your closet. That is why we recommend that you get some good lighting for your closet.
- Light up your office. If you have a home office, it is important that you have proper lighting, so you have the best work conditions.
- Use lights for decoration. While the majority of your lighting should have a practical function, you can also play around with some decorative lights. For instance, you can add decorative lights around mirrors, a deck rail or plants. Fairy lights are especially great for decoration. They will add a cosy, lovely atmosphere to any room or outdoor space.
- Have fun. Our last tip is to simply just have fun illuminating your home. Pick lamps and lights you actually love. Play around with different shapes, sizes, materials and colours.
Add mood lighting to any room
If you want to add a little bit of mood or atmosphere to a room, we recommend that you use dimmable fixtures so you can easily adjust the brightness of the light. For instance, it can be nice in the mornings and evenings to have the light dimmed slightly. Or perhaps you need a brighter light when working on your computer in the evening or when you are preparing dinner. You probably also want to pay attention to the colour temperature. This is measured in Kelvin. For warm light, you should opt for lower numbers.
Get your new lighting online from vidaXL
At vidaXL, we offer a wide range of lighting. Here, you will find standing lamps, pendants and many other kinds of lamps. We also have a wide range of various light bulbs so you can choose the exact right lighting for every room of your home. If you have any questions or you need help choosing the right lighting for your home, you are more than welcome to contact our customer service so we can assist you.